img

Contact Us
14 Park Road
Tarporley
CW6 0AP
Tel: 01829 732436
Registered Charity Number - 700336

Checkout

The Beginning

Tarporely War Memorial Hospital was first opened in 1919 by Mrs. Marshall Brookes of Portal. Originally, the Hospital had been a large private house, standing in its own substantial grounds and was purchased with money collected in Tarporley and its surrounding villages as a memorial to those who lost their lives in the First World War.

The first ward was in the form of an ex-army hut and was attached to the side of the house. The first doctor in charge of the Hospital was Dr. C M Hewer. The wards were staffed by a Matron and two nurses who were accommodated on the first floor of the house.

In 1931, Dr P A Campbell arrived and took over from Dr Hewer who was nearing retirement age.

In 1937, a new Female Ward and Operating Theatre were added as a result of a substantial bequest from the de Knoop family in memory of their son. Surgical operations were performed by Dr. Campbell assisted by Dr. Arthur of Bunbury. 

Up until 1948 the Hospital was financed by local voluntary contributions, but then the NHS took over the whole building and its surrounding lands. Looking forward to the 1970's small hospitals throughout the country were coming under threat of closure and Tarporely War Memorial Hospital was no exception. The people of Tarporley and its surrounding villages began a "Save our Hospital" campaign and, in 1978, a League of Friends was formed to lead the fight. 

Throughout the 1980's, intense negotiations took place to enable the Hospital to remain open. Sir Donald Wilson (Chair of the Regional Health Authority), Dr Sandy Campbell (Hospital Medical Director), and Mr. Barry Evans (Chairman of the League of Friends), met on numerous occasions to discuss the use and funding of the hospital and, eventually in 1987, an operational compromise was reached.

The Regional Health Authority sold off the surrounding land, handed over the Hospital to a newly formed Trust and made a grant of £55,000 towards upgrading the facilities. The League of Friends matched this offer and the combined sum allowed for the male ward to be completely rebuilt, the female ward to be renovated and five single rooms, one double room and a physiotherapy room to be created. 

Many local charities including The Rotary, Round Table, Freemasons, Royal British Legion Bunbury, plus numerous private and public donations and bequests, helped to fund the running of the Hospital.

The newly formed Trust and a newly appointed Manager became responsible for the day to day administration of the Hospital. Local G.P's agreed to be responsible for the in-house treatment of patients and this continues today.

In 1999, more modernisation of the facilities were funded by the League of Friends and then in 2001, the Kitchen, Physiotherapy Room, Mortuary and many other features were adapted and added to the Hospital, financed by a generous bequest from Mr. Reg Clarke of Bunbury.